Monday, April 14, 2008

Desperate writer (never my career)

Writing is not my talent, I really want to write but nothing would give me reason to write. For now I want to try if I can do so. My friend told me last Sunday when we were in our friend’s house surfing the net, that it is easy to write and make a blog. I know that it will be a lot easier for him because that’s what he always wanted to do. Now, it is almost 12:10am, April 14, 2008, as I look at the clock, supposedly me and my ex-college classmates planned to apply for a job early in the morning, but for an unknown reason it was postponed (what reason? Maybe, they consider me as a threat because they think that I can do a lot better than them? Haha)

This situation urged me to try this “writing” stuff. I also remember that my friend told me that I can write anything that I want or I can post anything which holds my interest. So this is my interest, to have a job which is related to my course. I am a BS Architecture graduate. I’ll take this opportunity to seek help from everyone. Hope someone will drop by and read my nonsense peace of scrap. I really want to a have a job so if there is someone out there who needs an AutoCAD operator, I am very willing to apply.

I think this is a very great beginning of a desperate writer (never my career) especially now that I am so bored doing my ordinary routine. Although this is not my passion, I still want to give it a try. So good luck for me and I hope that I can do much better next time.

2 comments:

David Gonzales said...

I would never lie to you. Writing is as easy as you can make it, but of course it depends on how you look at writing.

First and foremost, if you're writing just to make money, then you're in for a real surprise. Because not many people can do that quite successfully. The real writers of the society write for freedom (Jose Rizal in Noli Me Tangere), for peace (Mahatma Gandhi in his essays), for dreams (Martin Luther King in his speeches), and for victory (Sun Tzu in The Art of War).

Now don't lose hope, because you've only just begun. Remember when we were talking at Archie's and you told me that writing is "not your thing" or "you weren't made for this?" Well what in the world ever told you that you were supposed to be an architect in the first place? You haven't even started yet. So to be perfectly fair, although I do know you studied for five whole years just to make it through college, the scoreboard between architecture and writing in your life are both marked zero at this point. You have not had any amount of significant experience yet in either field to say that one of them is not the thing for you.

Second of all, you still have a lot of time. Enjoy your freedom while you can, because from what I know about professionals such as yourself, you're going to devote an awful lot of your time behind the drawing board and under a bright light, carefully laying out plans and drawing structures like there's no tomorrow. You should be happy you have freedom to think about what you really want to do in your life right now. And if it is architecture that you really feel like pursuing, then congratulations! You are on the right track.

Some people don't even know what they want to look like when they die. At least you know where you're going while you're still alive.

A last piece of advice I can give you, is to just do what you love. Think about your deepest, darkest, and greatest passion. What makes you excited when you think about it? What do you think would have the effect of tingling your senses every time you wake up each morning thinking of it? And no, I'm not talking about sex. I'm talking about what you think you can do for the rest of your life. I'm talking about something that you would gladly do for somebody, even though they won't pay you anything for it.

What kind of thing in the world would you do for someone absolutely free? If you can find the answer to that question, then you have found that thing which you love doing the most. Just like how I wrote this comment -- I'm a professional writer, but no, I'm not going to demand a cent.

David Gonzales said...

You have great talent, friend. I'm sure you'll be able to unlock it soon enough.